Fada nu kichadi (zero oil)



This recipe is adapted from Tarla Dalal's Zero oil dal chawal (click to read the review) recipe book with slight changes to suit our taste

Ingredients

1/2 cup dalia (bulgar wheat)
1/4 cup green gram dal (moong dal)
Salt to taste
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 cloves
1 tsp ginger paste
1 finely chopped onion
1/4 cup green peas
1 small tomato chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder

Soak the dalia and dal for 15 minutes. Heat a non stick pan and add cumin seeds, cloves and roast for half a minute. Add the onions and fry for a minute. Add ginger paste, dalia and dal (after draining the water), tomatoes and fry for another minute. Finally add rest of the ingredients and 2 cups of boiling water. Mix well and transfer to a vessel to pressure cook it.

Serve hot with curds.
how to make dalia kichadi, diet food recipe, quick and easy fada kichadi, zero oil recipe, food for weight loss, low calorie food, broken wheat recipes

14 comments:

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

zero oil dish?!!!
Did it taste good without oil?
Nice try

Shama Nagarajan said...

different try...delicious

Kanchan said...

I have dalia lying in my pantry and I have no clue what to do with it ! Thanks for sharing will love to try this :)

EC said...

Yes shanthi..I didnt find any difference in taste considering the absence of oil..

Thanks all..hope u will also try and enjoy it

SE said...

this is something different..will give it a try.

Deepthi Shankar said...

I love that fact that this has no oil

Cool Lassi(e) said...

Was this done in a non-stick pan? I was picturing you standing over a pan, huffing and puffing, trying to make this dish that keeps sticking on the sides and bottom of the pan..hehe..Joking! Dish looks nice and a healthy variant of a over-oily kichadi.

EC said...

Thanks SE, Deesha, Cool Lassie

@ CL...No way..I normally dont go for dishes that make me huff and puff in the kitchen..for me it has to be quick and easy..Basic frying was done in nonstick and then pressure cooked-so very less efforts in making it..

Spice said...

I love this one-pot dish, I learned it from my mom almost 4 yrs. back......I make it atleast once a week

Sailaja Damodaran said...

Good idea...looks easy

Andhra Flavors said...

a different experiment in healthy version.

Pavithra Kodical said...

Healthy one pot meal..Delicious :)

Anupama said...

True comfort food, isn't it??!! And to top it off, there is no oil in it... wow!

Mehjabeen Arif said...

I am huge fan of "no oil cooking ".. loved this recipe, will definitely try it.. I am planning to start cooking without oil n also blogging them..

http://comeletseat.blogspot.com

I am a newbie and will love to have some friends to share my blog.

Looking for something

Easycrafts video tour

Disclaimer

Simple Indian food blog (author- EC) is the legal copyright holder of the material and pictures in this blog and it may not be used, reprinted, or published without the written consent of the author. All the measures used in the recipes are approximate. Please adjust the spices as per your taste. For any queries, please email us at easycrafts@gmail.com
baby