Mysore Rasam


Ingredients (Translation)

2 tbsp red gram dal
A small lemon size tamarind
salt to taste
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp ghee
Few curry leaves
Finely chopped coriander leaves for garnishing

To be grinded into powder

1 tsp cumin seeds
2 Red chillies
1 tsp redgram dal
1 tsp coriander seeds
Bit of asafoetida
1 tsp bengalgram dal
1/2 tsp pepper

Roast the masala ingredients(excluding cumin seeds) and grind into fine powder (adding cumin seeds) after cooling. This can be made in larger quantity and stored in an air-tight container for a month.

Soak the tamarind in some water and extract the juice. Cook the red gram dal till soft. Add salt, curry leaves and masala powder to the tamarind juice and allow it to boil. Add the cooked and mashed dal along with some more water and allow it to boil for five more minutes.

Add finely chopped coriander leaves to the rasam. Heat 1 tsp ghee and add mustard seeds. When it splutters add to rasam. Adding a bit of jaggery would enhance the taste of the rasam.
rasam, mysore rasam, quick rasam, rasam powder, food, recipe
Affiliate of 100% Microwave Cooking, Ideas money, Time Pass, Inspirations for life, Easy crafts, Earn a Crore

6 comments:

vimmi said...

I love rasams. when i was working in India, my collegue would get differet kinds of rasama all the time. I have to get over my lainess of using readymade masalas though. great recipe.

Lakshmi said...

drooly rooly on it now. I love this rasam.

Bharathy said...

Rasam is a comfort food in my home.I make the milagu/parippu/poondu/lime rasam 365 days a year!!Have not yet tried Mysore rasam..sure to try this soon...
Good colour!

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

lovely!! I've never tried making the masala myself... My mom always makes it for me.

DK said...

I jus luv this Rasam..and it promptly comes to our table at least once a week! Have been wanting to make some Chaat Items soon..seeing ur Bhel puri just makes me do it faster! Yum!

EC said...

Thanks Vimmi, Bharathy...do try and let me know

@ Taste of Mysore...i dont know how authentic i have been but you would surely have a better version i suppose as ur blog name suggests


@ Ramya...this time around try making the masala

@ Dhivya..thats great..we make it once in a while that too the sweeter version..I never get enough of any chat

Looking for something

Easycrafts video tour

Disclaimer

Simple Indian food blog (author- EC) is the legal copyright holder of the material and pictures in this blog and it may not be used, reprinted, or published without the written consent of the author. All the measures used in the recipes are approximate. Please adjust the spices as per your taste. For any queries, please email us at easycrafts@gmail.com
baby